The fifth month of the year. The month of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. May is here with a bang and a Bank Holiday (02/05/2022, the Queen has moved the end of May Bank Holiday for a big party) and lots of smiles. Literally so, National Smile Month begins on 16/05/2022.
Everyone has a local landmark. Every community has its history. The Historical Association promotes Local and Community History during May. This is something that all businesses can get involved in. Tourism and leisure businesses have a catch to catch a sail during National Mills Weekend 07/05/2022 and 08/05/2022. This year’s theme is New Life for Old Mills. Up in West Yorkshire mills are very prominent parts of the landscape, I highly recommend a trip to Salts Mill and there’s lots to see and do at Sunnybank Mills in my beloved Farsley – it even has a brewery!
I think anyone who follows me knows about my shoe addiction 👠 . There’s an entire week in May dedicated to one of my other addictions, National Stationery Week will be run from 16/05/2022, use the hashtag #StationeryAddict. Feel free to tag me in your stationery posts to encourage my habit.
It is that time again. The Children’s Trust returns with National Donut Week from 07/05/2022. There are many reasons to grab a donut though definitely charity is high up there. Also returning is National Share A Story Month in May 2022, with the theme Belonging. If you missed out on taking part in my storytelling challenge back in January this could be an opportunity to join in.
Shop local and support small businesses is always an important message and something close to my heart, and there is an opportunity to celebrate these on World Trade Fair Day on 14/05/2022.
It’s also National Walking Month, why not share your favourite stroll or challenge yourself to a hike you’ve fancied tackling. Always wear appropriate footwear, I have learnt this the hard way.
Other awareness days
- May Measurement Month is part of a campaign by the British & Irish Hypertension Society, with World Hypertension Day on 17/05/2022
- Huntington’s Disease Awareness Month will be May 2022
- National Walk to School or Work will be observed during National Walking Month in May
- International Workers’ Day will be observed on 01/05/2022
- Dying Matters Awareness Week begins 02/05/2022
- Eid al-Fitr First Day (Islamic) is held on 02/05/2022
- World Press Freedom Day is 03/05/2022
- Anti-Bullying Day is 04/05/2022
- Free Comic Book Day falls on 07/05/2022
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is held on 08/05/2022
- Europe Day is observed on 09/05/2022
- International Nurses Day is 12/05/2022
- National Children’s Day is held on 15/05/2022
- Dementia Action Week starts 16/05/2022
- Wesak (Buddha Day) is observed on 16/05/2022
- Water Saving Week begins 17/05/2022
- International Museum Day will be on 18/05/2022.
- Hats for Headway Day gets its headwear on 20/05/2022
- Ascension Day (Christianity) will be 26/05/2022
- Oak Apple Day will be observed on 29/05/2022 in England
- WHO World No Tobacco Day is observed on 31/05/2022