August is the eight month of the year and is named after the Roman Emperor Augustus, chosen because it is the time of several of his “great triumphs”. However, these days it is known for school summer holidays, ‘silly season’ in the newspapers, and a whooping Bank Holiday to see the summer out at the end of the month.
Yorkshire Day kicks off the month on 01/08/2023. This awareness day is open to pretty much every business or organisation linked to Yorkshire. Hospitality businesses can show off what makes Yorkshire great for food and relaxation, B2B providers can share how their place of business reflects Yorkshire. When you live in the best place in the world, every day is Yorkshire Day.
Playday returns on 02/08/2023, a celebration of children’s right to play. Child based businesses will have an opportunity to share content relating to Playday. The UK’s celebration of cycle commuting also returns, Cycle To Work Day is 03/08/2023. While it is not for me (I swim, dontcha know), if you or your employees cycle to work share a bit about their habits.
In the UK there are a number of awareness months for August, Psoriasis Awareness Month, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, National Fishing Month. Returning for its 21st year in 2023, National Allotments Week begins 07/08/2023
Food type businesses, 05/08/2023 will be National Mustard Day (USA). While its origins are American, International Beer Day can be observed across the world. Breweries, pubs and inns, share what is your favourite drink on 04/08/2023. 24/08/2023 is National Burger Day. Caterers, burger bars, here’s an opportunity to show off your most gorgeous buns. My favourite is a Slap and Pickle Baconator, although I am partial to Five Guys. Afternoon Tea Week starts 07/08/2023 to 13/08/2023, which is also International Prosecco Day – cheers!
Other awareness days
- Month-long observances: Gastroparesis Awareness Month (paralysis of the stomach), American Adventures Month, Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month (USA), Happiness Happens Month (Secret Society of Happy People, USA), Neurosurgery Outreach Month
- Minden Day (British Armed Forces) is 01/08/2023
- World Scout Day will be 01/08/2023
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony (Japan) held on 06/08/2023
- International Forgiveness Day will be 06/08/2023
- International Cat Day (International Fund for Animal Welfare) is on 08/08/2023 though all cats think every day is their day
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (UN) is on 09/08/2023
- International Youth Day and World Elephant Day are on 12/08/2023
- Victory Over Japan Day is 15/08/2023
- India Independence Day is 15/08/2023
- World Humanitarian Day is observed on 19/08/2023
- National Honey Bee Day (USA) will be 19/08/2023
- World Mosquito Day is observed on the day Sir Ronald Ross discovered in 1897 how mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans 20/08/2023
- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade is 23/08/2023
- European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism is 23/08/2023
- Bank Holiday (UK except Scotland) on 28/08/2023
- International Day Against Nuclear Tests is 29/08/2023
- International Day of the Disappeared is 30/08/2023